RMIT English Worldwide offers the Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA). CELTA is a widely recognised, pre-service qualification for teachers of English in Australia and overseas, accredited and administered by the University of Cambridge. (Please note: to teach in Australia a university degree is also required)
The CELTA program aims to:
- Develop interactive teaching and classroom management skills for people with little or no experience teaching English.
- Develop language awareness and familiarise students with approaches and materials for developing English skills in adult learners.
The course is run full-time and part-time, however, the full-time course is very intensive and students should carefully consider their availability prior to enrolling.
To be eligible for the CELTA program students must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be eligible for tertiary education (i.e. have Year 12 or equivalent).
- Have sufficient awareness and competency in English, both written and spoken, to follow and complete course assignments.
- Meet the minimum requirements of pre-interview task and interview.
The CELTA certificate is awarded to students who have completed the course and met the assessment criteria for all written and practical course assignments. Students should be able to:
- Assess learner needs, and plan and teach lessons taking into account the learners' backgrounds, preferences and current needs.
- Demonstrate language knowledge and awareness, as well as appropriate teaching strategies.
- Demonstrate knowledge about language skills and how they may be acquired.
- Plan and prepare lessons designed to develop learners' overall language competence.
- Demonstrate an appropriate range of teaching skills and show professional awareness and responsibility.
Download CELTA Brochure